Saturday, January 12, 2013

Ragout? What's that?

You know I like one-pot meals or one-pot wonders as I like to call them. I posted here about it recently. I have a new favorite...do you like zucchini? Tomatoes? Kale? Cannellini or white beans? Chicken sausage? If you like those things, you might love this recipe for a White Bean and Sausage Ragout.
White Bean and Sausage Ragout Recipe
White Bean and Sausage Ragout Recipe
What's a ragout? Don't worry, I didn't know either. And I definitely wasn't sure how to pronounce "ragout" either. I would say a ragout is similar to a stew, with meat and veggies. Merriam-Webster defines it as "well-seasoned meat and vegetables cooked in a thick sauce." It's actually pronounced like the popular brand of pasta sauce, Ragu.

On to the recipe...It was our first time trying it. It was also the first time I'd really cooked with kale, but I've heard it is a super food so I figured it can't be too terrible, right? It wasn't bad at all! 
White Bean and Sausage Ragout Recipe
The recipe was simple. A little chopping was required at the beginning but after that, it was a quick and easy. The end result was delicious, along with colorful, giving it a nice presentation. It's perfect for a cool evening and of course, it's a one-pot wonder, my favorite. If you haven't ever really had kale or cooked with it, this is a good dish as an introduction. Give it a try - you may find you love it.

If you wanted to make it more soup like, you could add chicken stock before simmering it. I might also recommend making cornbread to serve with it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment