Saturday, January 5, 2013

I Mustache You

Get it? It is "I must ask you"...in case you didn't get it at first. Unless you are living under a rock, you know the mustache has been quite popular for awhile. I recently helped with planning a 60th birthday party for a relative who happens to have and has had, a mustache for years, and years, and some more years. Guess what became the obvious choice? You give up? A mustache party! We expected it to be a fun theme that everyone would enjoy and embrace, and we were definitely right! It was a hit among all ages.

Of course there were plenty of craft projects for the party. I created two things that I'll share the how-to on, and then share some other things that were done.

I created three styles of mustache-on-a-stick photo props. To achieve this, I found a link after googling "mustache silhouette" and printed out the mustaches. I chose three and cut them out, then traced them onto black card stock. You can get card stock for less than 40 cents a sheet at Hobby Lobby (when on sale) and you'll only need about 2 sheets for 40ish props. Talk about inexpensive! I just used scissors to cut the sharp, pointed end off some wooden skewers and attached the mustache silhouettes with a hot glue gun. Was a lot of cutting but a pretty easy process overall.
Mustache Party Ideas

Mustache Party Ideas
And as a bonus, they doubled as centerpieces for the tables. We used simple mason jars with a black ribbon tied around the neck to hold a few mustache sticks on each table. It was a really easy centerpiece and it didn't take long for party attendees to start picking them up and posing with them.
Mustache Party Ideas
I also created a personalized birthday banner for the birthday boy, complete with two little mustaches to tie in the theme. To create this, I typed the words into Word. I adjusted the font until I liked it, and made it bold and large. After it was printed, I trimmed out each letter and then traced it on the black card stock. Once those were trimmed, I used a glue stick (I wanted to make sure it wasn't wrinkly) to glue the letters to some bright green card stock. After these were dry, I punched two holes in each one, just in the top corners of each. I used some twine to string it together. It probably took about 2 hours all together but it wasn't too bad. A Cricut would have cut that time way down I'm sure, if you have one.
Mustache Party Ideas
One of the other nice pieces included a really large "60" completely covered in photos of the birthday boys from over the years. That mustache was in almost all of them! I can't take credit for that but it turned out great. It was really neat to see people looking at the photos at the party and remembering exactly when and where certain pictures took place. It brought a lot of memories back for a lot of people. 
60th Birthday Party Ideas
Stick on mustaches were also a huge hit. We ordered these mustaches and while they were not super fancy, they were perfect for the party and well priced at about $8 for 36. I don't want to post pictures of family and friends without permission, so I'll just say it was fun to see aunts, uncles, the young and the older, all with stick on mustaches adorning their upper lip. One of the ones that seemed to enjoy it the most, and that I was most surprised to see loving it was one of our grandmothers. A mustache and a smile on grandma was priceless. Can you imagine your grandmother with a stick on mustache?
 
So you want to throw a mustache-themed party yet?
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment